2022 Annual TCBC Workshop meeting to update the HAC and SAR
The discussion of the 2022 TCBC Workshop has been completed in late October. The contents of the workshop cover various fields of FCC certification. Hearing Aid Compatibility (HAC) and SAR are mainly updated as follows:
The FCC HAC test standard ANSI C63.19-2011 to ANSI C63.19-2019 has a two-year transition period. The new version of the standard will become mandatory on June 5, 2023, when the volume control test will also be required. The volume control standard is designed for all hearing problems. Including people who don't use hearing AIDS.
I. Revision and transition of KDB 447498
You can continue to use 447498 D04 or an older version of KDB 447498 D01 v06 until notice from the FCC:
1. Two test standards cannot be mixed in the report;
2. The new edition will announce a new transition period (which will be announced in advance).
Anticipate the timetable for the next step
1.End of Nov 2022: Review of all submissions;
2.End of Dec 2022: Release update;
3.End of Jan 2023: Review and release new version of KDB 447498.
2. Evaluation of unintentional sources of radiofrequency exposure
The regulations for assessing radiofrequency exposures from unintentional radiation sources (URS) will be discussed in new KDB 447498.
3. Update of SPLSR evaluation
1. According to KDB 447498, the SPLSR evaluation method allows considering the compliance of antenna co-transmission in the following cases: SPLSR = (SARi + SARj)1.5/Ri,j < 0.04;
2. The SPLSR evaluation method is currently being studied to extend its application to a wider frequency range;
3. A more comprehensive evaluation method is being studied and planned for the final version of KDB 447498.
Iv. IPD and SAR evaluation of portable devices above 6 GHz
The OVER6G appendix to the KDB 388624 D02 (v18r02) gives guidance on IPD and SAR evaluation for portable devices between 6 and 8.5 GHz.
1. IPD and SAR methods in accordance with OVER6G guidelines may continue to be used until further notice;
The IPD evaluation of 2.6-8.5 GHz portable devices can also be performed using the source reconstruction (SR) method or similar methods. The SAR and IPD requirements in the OVER6G appendix are no longer required when using the source reconstruction (SR) method.
3.PAG provisions still apply to IPD evaluation.
5. KDB 648474 extremity SAR
1. According to KDB 648474 D04 (v01r03), extremity SAR (10-g) testing is required for phones (whose screen diagonal is greater than 15cm or whose phone diagonal is greater than 16cm) in order to solve the exposure conditions of interactive hand use;
2.IEC/IEEE-JWG13 is considering updating the test conditions;
3. Some large size and specifications of equipment are involved;
a. For voice calls, the lower part of the antenna (away from the ear) has different head and non-head power levels;
b.Head SAR > hand SAR for upper antennas (basis of existing test exemption), but hand SAR > head SAR for lower antennas.
4. Update of KDB 648474 extremity SAR testing requirements under consideration.